What is a Guardian Home?
A Forever Family takes possession of their puppy or dog, and Virginia Doodles retains breeding rights to the dog, with the understanding that this dog will be a permanent member of their family. The puppy comes at a reduced adoption fee to the family, with only the cost to maintain feeding, regular veterinary care of their new puppy. (All veterinary costs associated with reproductive care are paid for by Virginia Doodles.) In return, the family signs a contract, agreeing their dog will be a part of the Virginia Doodles breeding program and must be made available to us for breeding, visits and whelping litters.
Most of the puppies available will be females, and occasionally a male.
Guardian families get the "pick of the litter" while we retain the breeding rights of our dogs. After the breeding period is over, we will pay for spay or neuter and the dog will be the guardian family's forever pet. We believe that all dogs deserve to be part of their own family and never housed outdoors. Because we do not have a kennel based program we simply can not house all the puppies/dogs that we would like to keep as part of our breeding program. We want our dogs to have the best and in turn our customers will have a happy, healthy and well socialized puppy.
Is there a cost for a Guardian Home?
We ask that Guardian families pay a small fee, depending on the age, sex and length of contract. Guardians will be responsible for the usual cost of the daily care, annual well visits and maintenance of their pet. This includes flea/tick prevention, feeding a high quality diet from our recommended list and necessary supplements for the needs of their particular dog, attend professional training classes, etc. It is a given that you would also provide the love, care and consideration that would be given any pet dog in your ownership.
Benefits to being a Guardian Family:
- Your family will be receiving the best puppy that represents the breed chosen by the breeder at a very low initial cost.
- Guardian families can schedule vacations during breedings/whelpings without worry or cost of kenneling their pets.
- Reduced pricing for grooming and kenneling for life.
- If the Guardian family decides to obtain another puppy from us, they may get the second puppy at 1/2 price if a pet and free if it is to be used in our breeding program under our terms.
- Males stay with their Guardian families and are only brought to the females to breed.
What families make the “ideal” Guardian home?:
- You must be willing to feed a high quality dog food and follow basic health care, veterinarian care, such as maintaining vaccine schedules as well as take the puppy through at least one 6 week obedience training course.
- No other intact dogs should ever be on the premises to prevent unwanted mating. Families MUST agree NOT to allow the dog to be bred to any other dog. If we find that one of our boys or girls have been bred outside of our breeding program, we reserve the right to cancel the guardian agreement and take possession the dog.
- We may request to do a home visit and require you live within 2 hrs. of our home. If you have a female that will give birth in our home we ask that you bring your puppy to visit us so that she is comfortable with us during her stays while whelping and weaning her pups.
- Must have a fenced in yard and own your own home. An invisible fence is suitable for males but females must have a physical fence. Again, this is “ideal” and exceptions are made on a case by case basis.
- The puppy must be raised indoors and never left outside unattended.
- When the female is in season, the Guardian family is required to contact us immediately so that arrangements can be made for breeding. We ask that Guardian families keep us updated on the puppy which would include photos every 3 months so that we may keep our website updated.
- You must be willing to bring or meet us for the health testing appointments paid for by us.
When Does the Guardian Home bring their dog to us?
The female will return to our home for breeding and then again for 6-7 weeks to whelp each litter. (This is imperative as we have a very specific socialization program and visitation process for our waiting lists, so all litters must be raised in our home.)
She will complete her mom career at four or five years of age.
A male will need to be made available to Virginia Doodles for breeding, and will be kept for a few days to a week at a time, for stud service. A male may complete his career at four or five years.
Some of our forever families enjoy being part of the birthing process, and have enjoyed being able to share the joy of birth without the huge commitment involved in screening families or all that is required of running a responsible breeding program! Forever Families need PERFECT character and Vet references, should be permanently residing within two hours of Virginia Doodles, be available to provide their female dog during their season for breeding, and be aware of the signs of a female coming into season. Males will be made available for breeding at different times throughout the year.